David Rose - US Army Veteran - Daytona Beach, FL
Today in his retirement, Mr. Rose continues his medic training by continuing to care for his war brothers and sisters in many capacities that these paragraphs will describe. It is Mr. Rose’s nature and training to improve the world in which he lives and this includes helping his fellow veterans and increasing public awareness of the plight of some of our bravest war veterans.
He has invested countless thousands of hours of his time and talents into numerous veteran organization projects. One particular organization in Washington DC, Mr. Rose has logged more than 1,200 hours of volunteer service within the last three years. Now with the addition of the Vietnam Veterans Tribute Truck, the hours of volunteer service are going up every week.
Upon close examination, you will see thousands of signatures of war veterans from all services all over this truck. Mr. Rose campaigns this truck all over Florida by attending car shows and veteran events to offer gratitude and access to services to our Florida state warriors in need. Sometimes just the simple act of signing the truck can be healing to a veteran. The truck is just a “draw” to attract the veteran and then we offer help. It works.
Education and Training Accomplishments:
- Elementary School – Boy Scouts – Pathfinders
- High School
– Florida Military School – Deland, Florida – Honor Roll -1967
– Forest Lake Academy – Medical Cadet Corps – Forest City, Florida -1968
– Vocational School – Orange County Vocation School – Orlando, Florida
President of Class – Honor Graduate -1971
– Cleveland State Community College – Business Degree – Magna Cum
Laude – Honor Graduate – 1976
– Penn Foster College – Wildlife and Forestry Conservation and Management –
Honor Graduate – 2007
– Landmark Learning – Wilderness EMT – Top of the class – 2007
– University of Indianapolis – 8 Interpretation Certifications – 2007
- Center For Non-Profits – Veteran Education: Grant Writing Class
– Are You Ready For a Grant
– Writing For The Grant
– You Have The Grant-What Now
– Forming a Non-Profit Board of Directors o Non-Profit Corporate Management
– Data Collection and Management
– Managing Volunteers
– Fund Raising
– Use of the Online Foundation Directory
Professional and Employment History:
- Orange County Medical Center – Orlando, Florida – Surgical Technician 1971 to 1974
- Adventist Health System – Orlando, Florida
- First Surgical Assistant – 1976 to 2000
- Director of Surgery – 1992 to 1996
- Chair of the Surgery Committee – 1992 to 1996
- Hospital Corporation of America – Chattanooga, Tennessee – First Surgical Assistant – 1996 to 2000 (Retired in 2000)
- 4allthingsweb.com – my own business corporation – 2000 to 2007 – Website development – cyber marketing – (Sold business retired again. 2007)
- Taught internet seminars for several area Chamber of Commerce
- In my retirement 2007 – 2015 Department of the Interior – National Park Service – Yosemite National Park – Glacier Point – Interpretive Park Ranger – Wilderness EMT – Search and Rescue – Certified Interpretive Guide – 2009 to 2015
- 2015 to present – 100% disabled by the VA for PTSD and Agent Orange complications and rated as unemployable. Mr. Rose continues to volunteer for veteran projects.
Civilian Professional Awards and Achievements:
- Medical Initiative Award for completing surgery when surgeon became ill and passed out.
- The first surgical assistant to be licensed in the state of Tennessee and third in the nation.
- Website of the Year – competing with 1,636 other websites internationally – 1998
- Golden Web Award – excellence in content and creativity – 2002
- Taught Internet seminars with the Chamber of Commerce – 2000 to 2007
- Authored a book titled, “Internet For Business Persons” VIEW
Department of the Interior
- Excellence in Performance as a US Park Ranger – 2009
- Excellence in Performance as a US Park Ranger – 2010
- Certified First Surgical Assistant
- Certified Surgical Technician
- Certified Orthopedic Technician
- Certified Central Service and Distribution
- Certified Wilderness First Responder
- Certified Emergency Medical Technician
- Certified Search and Rescue
- Certified Webmaster
- Certified Professional Trainer
- Certified Adobe Photoshop
- Certified Pay Pal
- Certified Adobe Dreamweaver
US Park Ranger Certifications, Degrees and License
- 8 certifications in interpretation
- Certified Interpretive Guide
- Wilderness First Responder – Search and Rescue
- Wilderness EMT
- Certified Dark Sky Ranger
- Wildlife and Forestry Conservation and Management Degree
Advocacy on Behalf of Veterans:
- “Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Society” – Board Member – Secretary – Webmaster – Author – Video Producer – Photographer
- “Partner of the Vietnam War 50th Commemoration” – over a 5 year span have awarded over 5,000 Vietnam War Veteran lapel pins, hundreds of Blue Star Surviving Spouse pins and certificates and over 100 In Memory Of Gold Star pins and certificates.
- “National Medal of Honor Museum” – Volunteered as a guide – Webmaster and artist/designer of exhibits – produced video – consultant to the president. Won a service award – 2008 to 2016
- “Operation Song” – Board of Directors – Webmaster – Videographer – Photographer – Consultant to the President – Song Writer
- “Heartland Therapeutic Programs” – Board of Advisors – Advisor to the President – Webmaster – Videographer – Photographer – Art and design
- “Freedom Dogs” – Advisor to the President – Webmaster
- “Warfighter Advance” – Opening night key note speaker of the 7-day program – mentor – videographer – photographer
- “Noteworthy Missions” – Consultant to the President – Design and Art Volunteer with the VA and teach writing and journaling to PTSD post war veterans.
- Operates a non-profit organization titled Vietnam Veteran Tribute Truck. The truck is a 1946 Chevy hot rod with “Vietnam Veteran Welcome Home” hand painted on the doors. The team of 4 attend car shows and veteran events to attract veterans to ask them to sign the body of the truck. There are more than 5000 signatures of war veterans on the body of the truck. While the veteran is beside the truck, Mr. Rose awards Department of Defense Vietnam War 50th Commemoration lapel pins. He has awarded more than 2000 pins.
- Co-founded the National Association of Military Medics and Corpsmen and serve the board as Advisor.
- Veterans’ Museum and Education Center, Daytona Beach, FL – Website Developer – Contributor VIEW
- Participant and advisor for a military PTSD Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy program sponsored by Florida State University and the State of Florida.
- Participant, advisor and predecessor of The Rolling Tribute truck. A vehicle for veterans to sign.
- Advisor, speaker and partner of the Heroes Honor Festival – Daytona International Speedway – Memorial Day weekend, 2022
- Conceived, organized, launched and recruited sponsor funding for a veteran project titled “Restoration In Peace”. This is a project to locate, restore, preserve and document grave markers of military veterans from all wars. VIEW
- Duplicated myself 15 times by hand selecting, training and coaching qualified veteran organizations as partners of the Department of Defense Vietnam War 50th Commemoration.
- Established myself as an official contributor for the Library of Congress with a veteran interview project titled: “Operation: Interview” VIEW
- Sought out numerous worthy veterans and successfully nominated them into the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame.
Noted Personal Appearances as a Veteran:
- Opening night Keynote speaker X 15 – Warfighter Advance – Washington DC (A 7-day PTSD intensive program)
- Invited Participant Memorial Day WWII Wreath Presentation Ceremony – Washington DC
- Invited Participant Memorial Day Parade – Washington DC
- Invited Vietnam Veteran Speaker Presentation – Vietnam Wall – Washington DC
- Armed Forces Airways – Radio Interview – Chattanooga, Tennessee VIEW
- Key Note TED Talk McKee Chair of Excellence in Learning, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Guest speaker for the War History class at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Forest Lake Academy Alumni Reunion Veteran Tribute Speaker – Orlando, Florida
- Forest Lake Academy Veterans Day Speaker to Student Body – Orlando, Florida
- Speaker VVA Chapter 1048 Introducing the Vietnam War Veteran Tribute Truck – Port Orange, Florida
- Luncheon speaker for veteran fundraiser for Operation Song – Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Speaker for the world premier of the movie “Iron Will” in which I co-stared. (a PTSD documentary) – Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Banquet Keynote Speaker for “Operation Tohidu/Divide and Conquer” – Winona, Minnesota
- Live radio interview WBZW discussing Vietnam War Veterans and post-war PTSD – Orlando, Florida
- Live radio interview with “Mac and Cheese in the Morning” discussing my PTSD journey – Chattanooga, Tennessee VIEW
- Speaker and Presenter of Gold Star Family Certificates and Pins at the Vietnam War Veterans Reunion in Melbourne, Florida
- Speaker and Presenter of Vietnam War Veteran Department of Defense 50th Commemoration Lapel Pins and Surviving Spouse Pins – Collegedale, Tennessee
- Speaker and Presenter of Vietnam War Veteran Department of Defense 50th Commemoration Lapel Pins and Surviving Spouse Pins – Georgetown, Tennessee
- Speaker and Presenter of Vietnam War Veteran Department of Defense 50th Commemoration Lapel Pins and Surviving Spouse Pins – Pikeville, Tennessee
- Speaker and Presenter of Vietnam War Veteran Department of Defense 50th Commemoration Lapel Pins and Surviving Spouse Pins – Dunlap, Tennessee
- Speaker and Presenter of Vietnam War Veteran Department of Defense 50th Commemoration Lapel Pins and Surviving Spouse Pins and Awarding of the Presidential Service Awards and a Presidential Lifetime Achievement Award – Tallahassee, Florida VIEW
- Speaker and Presenter of Vietnam War Veteran Department of Defense 50th Commemoration Lapel Pins and Surviving Spouse Pins – Niceville, Florida VIEW
- Special guest speaking about veteran suicide on NDE Radio – You Tube. VIEW
- Speaker and presenter of 50th Commemoration pinning at the Induction Ceremony Reception of the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame in the Florida State Capital Building – Tallahassee, FL
- Speaker and presenter during the Heroes Honor Festival at the Daytona International Speedway speaking to 35,000 veterans and civilians. Awarded 2000 Vietnam War 50th Commemoration pins, over 100 Surviving Spouse pins and located many Gold Star In Memory Of families.
- Speaker and presenter for Leadership Florida annual convention of 2000 members at Universal Studios awarding 6 Vietnam Veterans and 10 other veterans.
- I have been asked to present a funeral for a 36 year USAF Chief Master Sergeant. This may be my most honorable task as a veteran in service.
- Speaker and presenter for the induction ceremony of the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Class of 2022.
- “Vietnam War Medal of Honor” – When Mr. Rose was a guide with the National Medal of Honor Museum he realized that many visitors left the museum without understanding the actions of the Medal of Honor recipients. The citations are lengthy and written in military language so many lay people would not read or even understand the written citations. He decided then to write this book. This book offers a four line poetic description of each of the 257 actions Vietnam War MOH recipients that anyone can understand. VIEW
- “Some Wounds Don’t Bleed” – A poetic account of my personal PTSD journey. VIEW
- “The Power of Pen To Paper” – Sharing my personal journey of PTSD journaling with how-to instruction and lined spaced for journaling. VIEW
- “Ethical Human Psychology and Psychiatry” Co-authored journal paper titled: “Some Wounds Don’t Bleed – An Examination Of Unresolved Trauma in Vietnam Veterans and Its Ethical Implications Through The Lens of One Mans Story and Beyond” (a journal of the International Society of Ethical Psychology and Psychiatry)
- Blog “Some Wounds Don’t Bleed”
- Blog “Vietnam War Six Word Stories”: VIEW
- “Still Serving” – Meet the members of the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Society VIEW
- “War Veteran Interview Series” – (5 books in the series to date) Transcribed from Library of Congress Interviews. VIEW
- “Red Beach Pipeline” – A Vietnam War Veteran and a Gold Star Daughter find each other after 50 years of searching. VIEW
- “Restoration In Peace” Blog – A Blog of before and after pictures and descriptions of the restoration of veteran grave markers. VIEW
- Complied and published “Still Serving” Edition 2 Class of 2013 – 2022 Meet the members of the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame VIEW
Veteran Video Productions:
- “Operation Song Overview”: VIEW (this video won third place in the National VA Creative Arts Festival)
- “I Started a New Happy Med From The VA Today”: VIEW (this video won first place in the National VA Creative Arts Festival)
- David Rose “Salute-a-Veteran” radio interview: VIEW
- Library of Congress Interview – Suzonne Murrell – Vietnam War Gold Star Spouse: VIEW
- Library of Congress Interview – Jim Campbell – Vietnam War Veteran: VIEW
- Library of Congress Interview – Bruce Host – Vietnam War Veteran: VIEW
- Library of Congress Interview – David Rose – Vietnam War Veteran: VIEW
- Red Beach Pipeline – The Ed Kelley and Wendi Bollero story – A Vietnam War Veteran and a Gold Star Daughter find each other after 50 years of searching. VIEW
- Malcom Holliman awarded on his death bed: VIEW
- Vietnam War Veterans Awarded in Washington DC: VIEW
- The Tommy Mabe Story “Escape from a Cambodia POW Camp”: VIEW
- Salute-a-Veteran with Brittney Lawrence – Gold Star Spouse: VIEW
- Salute-a-Veteran with Chuck Ayers – Iraq Veteran: VIEW
- Operation Song Songwriting Therapy: VIEW
- Operation Song Veteran Testimonials: VIEW
- Produced a video for the Class of 2020 who was inducted virtually because the Florida Capital Building was closed for COVID. The video presents their name plaques on the rotunda wall of the Florida Capital Building. VIEW
- Contributed to theFlorida Veterans Hall of Fame Virtual Induction Ceremony for the Class of 2020. VIEW
Veteran Song Written and Recorded:
- “And I Sit”: VIEW
Co-Stared in Veteran PTSD Documentary Movie:
- “Iron Will”: VIEW
- Donald J. Trump Presidential Lifetime Achievement Award – 2020
- Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame – Class of 2018
- The First President’s Award from the President of the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Society – 2019
- Mary Karon Memorial Award for Humanitarian Concerns and Reaching Out to Others. Awarded by the International Society of Ethical Psychiatry and Psychology – 2017
- Quilt of Valor Award from the Washington DC Quilts of Valor Chapter
- Grateful Service Award from the National Medal of Honor Museum – 2015
- 1st Place in The National Creative Arts Festival – Humor Video
- 2nd Place in The National Creative Arts Festival – Humor Poetry
- 3rd Place in The National Creative Arts Festival – Documentary Video
- 1st Place in The National Creative Arts Festival – Patriotic Poetry
- Governor’s War Veteran Service Award – now Senator Rick Scott
- Letter of Recognition and Appreciation from General Jim Jackson, Executive Director of the Department of Defense Vietnam War 50th Commemoration
- Certificate of Appreciation from the VVA Chapter 1048
- Threw out the First Pitch opening night at the Lookouts Baseball Stadium in Chattanooga.
- Speakers Appreciation Award – Veterans Day 2018 – Forest Lake Academy – Orlando, Florida
- A drone combat mission was flown in my honor during Operation Iraqi Freedom. A certificate and the American flag from inside the drone was sent to me by the commander.
- A caretaker for a day of The Baton. VIEW WEBSITE
- Keynote Speaker Appreciation Award from the Minneapolis WA – 2016
- Letter of Appreciation from the Board of Directors of the National Association of Military Medics and Corpsmen for my guidance and direction in reorganizing the organization.
- Appreciation of Service Award from the President of the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Society for 4 years of founding board member secretary service.
- December 6, 2022 is David Rose Day in Volusia County, Florida where 6 Hall of Fame members were inducted into the Wall of Fame in the rotunda of the Court House.
The Vietnam Veteran Tribute Truck:
Mr. Rose owns a 1946 Chevy Vietnam Veteran Tribute Truck. There are thousands of veteran signatures all over the body of this truck. The tribute truck is intended to offer recognition to our country’s war veterans, but more importantly the truck is used to draw veterans to the help that they need for assistance with their individual post war issues. Just the act of signing the truck can be healing to some veterans. Also there is an area of the truck reserved solely for our Gold Star Families to sign. This tribute truck and Mr. Rose have a busy appearance schedule in the state of Florida. It is Mr. Rose’s goal to acquire as many signatures as possible in Florida, thus making contact with as many veterans as possible to fulfill his mission of helping others. The Tribute Truck is just the “vehicle”. The real meat of the project is “veterans helped”. VIEW VIDEO
Co-Founder of Two Veteran Corporations:
Mr. Rose has been instrumental in forming several veteran organizations, but these two corporations are his own creations and ownership.
“The Strongest Memory Wins Research Foundation, LLC” was co-founded by Mr. Rose and Dr. Eric Lane. The purpose of the corporation is to research and test technique for reducing symptoms of PTSD and to reduce the incidence of creating PTSD in our war veterans during the wars. We have enjoyed a 100% success rate in our research so far. The Strongest Memory Wins is a registered Trademark of the corporation. “The Strongest Memory Wins, Inc.” is a 501 c3 organization developed to raise funds for the tribute truck and other worthy vetted PTSD veteran organizations.
Other Veteran Accomplishments and Points of Interest:
- I was given a Sioux sweat lodge ceremony in Washington State for the purpose of healing my post war PTSD. Subsequently the Sioux Nation adopted me and gave me the Sioux name of “Wambali-Iskma” which translates to “Eagles Wing”. Eagles Wing means “High Flying Messenger”.
- Several psychologists are utilizing my book “The Power of Pen to Paper” as a workbook for their PTSD veteran clients.
- Designed and constructed the Vietnam War Display for the National Medal of Honor Museum.
- On several occasions I have been asked to moderate the Vietnam War Therapy Group at the Vet Center in the absence of the doctor.
- At the beginning of each 7-day program with Warfighter Advance in Washington DC, copies of my books “Some Wounds Don’t Bleed” and “The Power of Pen to Paper” are given to each of the PTSD participants as a tool to contribute to their healing.
- I have been invited onto the planning committee of Heros Honor Festival, a major veteran event for Vietnam War Veterans coming Memorial Day weekend 2022 in Daytona Beach, FL
I will be presenting to and awarding as many as 30,000 Vietnam War Veterans, Surviving Spouses and Memorial Families.
- Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame – Life Member
- Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Society – Life Member – Secretary of the Board of Directors – Webmaster – Photographer – Videographer – Art/Design – Author – Publisher
- Vietnam Veterans of America – Life Member
- Vietnam Veterans of America Post 1048 in Daytona Beach, Florida – Life Member
- Veterans Museum and Education Center, Daytona Beach, Florida – Life Member
- Military Writers Guild – Member
- National Medal of Honor Museum – Museum Guide – Archives Curator Assistant – Webmaster – Advisor to the President – Videographer – Photographer
- National Association of Military Medics and Corpsmen – Legacy Lifetime Member – Board Advisory Counsel
- International Society of Ethical Psychiatry and Psychology – Journal Published Contributor
- American Association for State and Local History – History Preservation Member
- Association for Gravestone Studies
Civic Activities and Contributions
- During the Vietnam War Mr. Rose volunteered during his off time to hike to five Montagnard villages in the jungle to offer a good will sick call to the indigents.
- He volunteered his Christmas vacation from college to build a clinic in Haiti.
- Produced Rosewood Music Festival in the front yard of his estate for five years to benefit various charity organizations in need. 1982 – 1987 VIEW
- Conceived, marketed, developed and designed a Christian global satellite network with 4000 downlink locations in 40 countries within 2 years in his spare volunteer time. 35,000 people were baptized into Christianity the first year of operation. 1987 to 1989
- Brought a surgical department from shambles to the best in the area within 6 months utilizing existing staff to bring professional surgical services to a community in need. – 1992
- Designed and developed 2 new surgical procedures to better benefit patients offering them less pain and shorter recovery time. – 1989 to 1990
- Trained general surgeons to perform laparoscopic surgery – 1989 to 1990
- Volunteered on the Board of Directors of Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce 2000 to 2004
- Co-founded the Market Center Counsel of the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce
- Volunteered as webmaster for the Market Center Counsel
- Served as Prestident of the Market Center Counsel
- Market Center Counsel Board of Directors
- Co-founded and directed the “Heart of the City Celebration” event
- Received the Award of Excellence from the Market Center Counsel and the Chamber of Commerce
- Volunteered Internet seminars to the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce
- Volunteered to develop 3 business networking groups in 3 differene Chamber of Commerce to improve business development in those communities
- Volunteered to speak and mentor developing businesses in a business incubator in my community
- Volunteered as VP and webmaster for the “Friends of Mountain Creek”
- Volunteered to reach out to local schools and civic groups to teach bear safety as a US Ranger in California
- Volunteered for search and rescue missions to find lost individuals
- Contributed two new words to the Webster Dictionary: “Blueway” and “Toterhome”
- Volunteer as a weather advocate to report dangerous weather conditions to the National Weather Service.
- Spoke to numerous civic groups, schools and clubs about life as a US Ranger in the mountain wilderness of the Sierra Nevadas
- Developed a website describing all of the hiking trails within a 60 mile radius of Chattanooga, Tennessee to offer detailed hiking choices to individuals, families and groups. I hiked all of these trails myself and documented my adventures on this website. VIEW
- Developed a website describing The Tennessee River Gorge Blueway Canoe Trip. The canoe adventure runs 50 winding miles from the Chickamauga Dam to the Nick-a-Jack Dam and includes many points of interest along the way. I traveled this Blueway myself and built this website describing my experience so that other individuals, families and groups can be encouraged to enjoy the same outing in nature. VIEW
- Proposed a new surgical procedure to the hospital and surgeons where I was employed to improve an open heart coronary by-pass procedure that decreased overall procedure time, reduced the patient recovery time with less chance of infection and reduced patient pain by 75%.
- Contributor to the Fisher House in Eglin Air Force Base in Florida
- Participated in the swearing in of new American Citizens as a US Park Ranger in Yosemite National Park.
- Many more…
Other Awards or Honors:
- Excellence in Performance from the Department of Interior X 2 – 2009 & 2010
- Website of the Year competing with 1636 other web developers internationally
- Golden Web Award for Design, Content and Creativity
- Medical Staff Initiative Award for my surgical expertise
- Sports Car Club of America – Racer of the Year
- Sports Car Club of America – Rookie of the Year
- Sports Car Club of America – Ambassador of the Year
- Sports Car Club of America – Driver of the Year
- Sports Car Club of America – Southeastern Division Champion
- 43 first place trophies for my international poetry writing competition VIEW
- Many more…
Mr. Rose has retired as Secretary of the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Society after 4 years of volunteer service. He is now building a car from scratch based on a 1930 Model A Ford era correct race car. He has joined the Smoky Mountain Model A Club and is the volunteer newsletter editor for the club.
Mr. Rose created this website and the Society membership book titled “Still Serving”. Mr. Rose has initiated a program titled “Operation Interview” which will video interview as many Society members as possible to be submitted into the Library of Congress Oral History Program.