Lt. Commander Helena O. Washington - US Navy (Retired) - Jacksonville, FL
LCDR Washington, Herlena has proven that is a multitalented individual. She is the glue that keeps her family and the volunteer organizations she serves moving. She has successfully volunteered her talent and has maintained a marriage to her husband Taylor (a 24 year veteran) for over 31 years. They have two children, Tayrell Washington (30) – has been serving in the United States Air Force for 9 years, Sherlena Washington (26) – who is working and half way done with her Masters, 3 Step children Taylor Jr., Sekari, and Tedrick, 9 grandchildren, 2 great grands, and Justice the dog. LCDR Washington, Herlena well deserves this award. Her community service for the city of Jacksonville as well as the active, retired, and homeless Veterans well deserves to be recognized.
Education and Training:
- University of Phoenix – 2014, Master in Business Administration
- National Christian Counselors Association – 2003, Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor Advanced Certification.
- Truth Bible College – 2002, Doctorate in Ministerial Education & Evangelism
- Troy State University- 1991, Master of Science in Management
- University of Oregon -1981, BA Community Service and Public Affairs, Bachelor of Science
- Community College of the Air Force – 1988 AA – Administrative Management Lincoln College – 1979, Associate Degree – Community Service
- Graduated from Walnut Hills High School – 1977, Cinti, Ohio (a college preparatory school)
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. National Experience and Certificates
- Zeta Alpha Beta – Boules – 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018
- Zeta Alpha Beta – Youth Certification – 2016
- Zeta Alpha Beta – Amicae Certification – 2017
- Zeta Alpha Beta – Under Graduate Certified – 2015
- Zeta Alpha Beta – ZOL – Zeta Organizational Leadership Conference – 2013 Zeta Alpha Beta – Membership Intake Process (MIP) – Certified – 2013
Professional or Employment History:
- Kelly Education Staffing – Substitute teacher for Duval County – 2013- present
- United States Naval Officer – (Ret) 1981- 2007 – (25 years).
- Team-oriented professional, with over 25 years as a healthcare administrator. Residential expert in healthcare; leadership experience in a wide range of results-oriented programs involving all facets of naval operations, strategic planning, budgeting, resource management, change management, training, leadership development and technology integration
- President; Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. – Oct 2015-Present
I am currently the President of the Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter. I am responsible for leading over 54 women in the main chapter and 20 in the chapter auxiliaries. During my presidency over the last 3 years I have been responsible for the following;
- Chairman of Beta Alpha Zeta Scholarship Committee over the last 5 years, the chapter has given out 25 scholarship worth over $10,000 dollars.
- Chaired, Co-Chaired, the Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter Community Pearls Luncheon for the last 7 years, this is our signature event were we honor community members. All proceeds go toward scholarships for seniors within Jacksonville, Florida.
- Chaired 2018 – Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter signature event. This year we held the 13th Annual Community Pearls Luncheon, 21 Apr 2018, titled; Honoring 12 Leaders Under 40 Changing Lives, and we honored 4 scholarship recipient. The event was sold out; we had over 300 guests, the largest attendance in the chapter’s history.
- She is a member of the Storks Nest Committee; the Storks Nest of Jacksonville won the 2017 Storks Nest Regional Award.
- As a member of the Storks Nest Committee – she attends the monthly meetings for the Beta Alpha Zeta Storks Nest at Bethel Institution Church Annex. Monthly the committee feed and gives the pregnant ladies advice for having a healthy pregnancy.
- She has been instrumental in the following Storks Nest baby Showers;
- Beta Alpha Zeta Storks Nest Baby Shower – Dec 2, 2017, Little Miracles Baby Shower, at UF Health J ax, Learning Resources Center, from 7-9. The chapter served over 75 pregnant women and we gave out over 50 baby items and we gave away 2 baby baskets filled with baby items.
- Edward Waters College Baby Shower – Dec 21, 2017, the chapter participated, and gave away 2 baskets and served over 100 pregnant women.
- UF Health Jax, Learning Resource Center, we gave away as door prizes, gave away 2 baby baskets filled with baby items. We served over 75 pregnant mothers.
- Chaired the Adopt-a-School Committee for the last 3 years for Lake Forest Elementary School and participated in the Susie E. Tolbert Elementary Adopt a School, after school program. Volunteer monthly with mentoring, reading, and guiding, under privileged elementary school children.
- Chaired the Elder Care project – Woodlawn Grove Nursing Home – monthly visited nursing home resident, talking to the seniors, painting and massaging their nails, assisting with gift bags and cards.
- Responsible for the – Zeta Senior Soros’s – Responsible for calling the seniors in the chapter those unable to attend monthly. She ensures that they know what is going on in the chapter. The seniors are taken care of with cards and gifts during the major holidays Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and Mother’s Day. They also receive birthday cards on their birthday.
Beta Alpha Zeta Website – Responsible for helping to update and maintain the website. Responsible for the chapter contributing to the following:
- Breast Cancer Walk.
- Wigs for Breast Cancer.
- March of Dimes, March for Babies.
- Premature awareness.
- St Jude and Medical Teaching Dolls.
- Zeta Global Day of Service – Fed the homeless.
- Dr. Martin Luther King parade – gave our over 100 educational items, books, crayons, pencils, coloring books, and play items.
- Clara White Mission – December to Remember – contribute clothes and toys for a mother and her 5 children.
- Baby Bottle campaign for March for Babies. – raised over 3,000 last 2 years.
Chaired or Co-Chaired the following chapter events:
- Circle of Love – all the Divine 9 attend annually to pray and fellowship together.
- Black Expo – all the Divine 9 set up tables in the Greek Village. Each organization has the opportunity to show case for a trophy. Beta Alpha Zeta won in 2016.
- Chapter Tea, Hat, and Glove Prayer Celebration – over 60 in attendance – highlighted – Black History Month – 5 pearls, Heart Disease.
- Spearheaded Finer Womanhood Month; Feb-Mar 2018, chapter participated in;
- New and Reclaim Meet & Greet. Over 40 ladies attended.
- Open Arms Christina Fellowship – Church Service – Offering $302.00
- Painting with Lenwood – over 31 attended. Painted a Zeta Lady. With light refreshments, jazz music, and socializing.
- Line Dancing – Hosted by Sassy Seniors and Steppers, over 15 in attendance. Promoting exercising and health eating.
- Beta Alpha Zeta Spring Festival – family fun, DJ, food, bouncy house, to promote family and showcase what the chapter is doing in the community.
- Spearhead our auxiliary Amicae Ceremony – brought in 7 Amicae’s ceremony and dinner. Over 30 in attendance.
- Volunteer and walked for Breast Cancer for the last 3 years helped with set up. (2015- 2018).
- Volunteer and walked for March for Babies helped with food and water distribution (2015- 2018).
- Volunteered and walked for Heart Walk – 2016 & 2017.
- Volunteered and walked for Sickle Cell – 2015-2018.
Local Positions Held;
Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter:
- Executive Board member – 2008-2016
- Chair & Assistant Chair for Community Pearls – 2010-2018
- Assistant Chair for 2013 Dove Celebration
- Zeta – Finance committee Assistant Finance and Financial Secretary-2010-2018
- Housing Chairman – 2009 – 2018
- Hostess Chairman – 2009 -2018.
- Chair of BET A Scholarship Committee – 2011-2017
- Social and Welfare Chair – 2009 -2018
- Participation in the following – Back to school. Black Expo, December to Remember, March for Babies, Breast Cancer Walk, Circle of Love, Carbux, Mother Day Breakfast.
- President for Christ Sanctuary Ministries, Inc. – 1999- present
- President and Administrator for Christ Sanctuary Ministries, a service non-profit public charity. Christ Sanctuary Ministries is a non-profit charity that serves in the areas of service, social, charity, religion, and education. The mission of the ministry is to organize, encourage, and educate by providing mentoring, military initiatives, financial guidance, scholarships, healthy living, toys, food donation, social & card amenities, and helping with dream making through advocacy, research, donation, and service.
- National Naval Officers Association (NNOA), Jax Chapter – 16 yrs – present (Life Member)
- Community Chairperson- 6 yrs; responsible for the annual back to school drive for 2 local under privilege schools, serving over 400. Purchased over 10,000 dollar in school supplies. By monthly feeding the homeless at Saint Francis Soup Kitchen feeding over 500.
- Christmas Toy Drive – 6 yrs.; responsible for over 100 children receiving Christmas toys
- Assistant Chairperson for scholarship committee – over the last 8 years rewarding over 40 students over $50,000 dollars in scholarships
- Assisted with the NNOA Jax, Chapter Golf Annual Tournament last lOyrs – All proceeds go toward scholarship.
- Spearheaded the first Breast Cancer Walk – Sep – raised over $ 1550.00 dollars.
- Eastern Region Vice President – National Naval Officers Association – (2009 – 2011). As Eastern Region Vice President, National Naval Officers Association (NNOA) served as advisor for over 12 chapters on the East coast from Washington D.C., down to Miami Florida. Spearheaded, the first every Joint conference with over 700 attendees from all over the world.
- President of the Duval Academy Advisor Board – 2003- present
- Chair monthly meetings last 17 yrs.
- Mentoring over 28 boys – from August – June.
- Chairperson of the scholarship committee – giving out 2-3 scholarships annually.
- Thanksgiving and Christmas Food Drive – (8yrs)- giving out over 50 food baskets,
- Chair Annual Easter Egg Hunt. 5yrs serving 28 boys – over 300 eggs/prizes Spearheaded the young men volunteering for the Breast Cancer Walk, March for Babies, Martin Luther King parade -2014,2016,2017,2018
- Spearhead the monthly mentoring sessions for the young men – 2014- present
- Chair for annual Volunteer/Scholarship Banquet.
- Responsible for obtaining private donation to fund annual scholarships.
- Annual Honor Roll Jags Game. Responsible for outings for the 28 boys, Feeding the Homeless, Community Pearl Luncheon, golf Tournament, Open Mic Nite, Cleaning up after the Hurricane, Try to expose them to community events.
- Certified Christian Counselor – 16 yrs. – Counseling as needed.
- Certified Money Smart Trainer – teaching money management all over Jacksonville – 7 yrs.
- Spearhead bi-annuallv Family and Friends picnic – 14 yrs. Semiannually held in Cincinnati, Ohio. A social event that brings family, friends, attended by over 120.
Awards or Honors:
- Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. – 2018 Presidency Award Presidential Award from Jacksonville Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. -Apr 2017
- Pillar of Success Award – 2015 Community Leader of the Year, from Sassy Senior and Steppers – 2014
- Letter from the Governor of Florida, Rick Scott, for all the Community Service accomplishments – 2013
- Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter, Inc. – Certificate of Appreciation – 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Volunteer Appreciation Award – Brentwood Elementary School of the Arts – 2014-2015
- Volunteer Appreciation Award – Lake Forest Elementary School – 2017, 2018
- Volunteer Service Award – Duval Juvenile Residential Facility – 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016.
- Zeta of the Year – 2008 the National Naval Officers Award (NNOA) Jax,
- Distinguish Service Award for the last 4 years.
- Chapter of the Year for Area 2-2017
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal (2)
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal (2)
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Air Force Overseas Ribbon
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
- US Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation (2)
- National Defense Medal (2)
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Air Force Good Conduct Medal (2)
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- Navy Expert Pistol Medal
Advocacy on Behalf of Veterans:
I am responsible for the Beta Alpha Zeta Chapter military committee, for the last 3 years in November, December and January the chapter has honored the military with the following;
- Spearheaded – November Church visit to honor military personnel, we give the church a donation on behalf of the chapter. (Nov – 2015-2017)
- Spearheaded the BAZ feeding and honoring the Veterans at the VA Clinic on Jefferson, feed over 250 veterans. (Nov -2015-201)
- Spearheaded Veterans Woman Rock – donated for 11:11 imitative. (Nov -2015-2017) Spearhead the collecting of over 2,300 toiletries that were given to Elim for homeless Veterans. (Nov-2015-2017)
- Spearheaded the participations in the Veterans Day parade held in Jacksonville, FL. (Nov- 2015-2017)
- Spearheaded the participation of the chapter in the Wreaths across America placing wreaths on the tombs of over 5,000 veterans. (Dec -2015-2017)
- Spearheaded the chapters participation in the Department of Veteran Affairs; April 2018 — Women Veterans Week, Veterans Health Fair held at the VA clinic in Jacksonville — the chapter show cased all our committees, auxiliaries we do in the community, for the Beta Alpha Zeta chapter.
Civic Activities and Contributions:
- On the board for Ashford Wood Development – last 7 years.
- Helped House of Representative Tracy Davis – Feed over 400-500 hundred – Aug 2017
- Campaign for Ken Jefferson when he was running for Sherriff – 2015