Rear Admiral Carlton McLeod - US Navy (Retired) - Hernando, FL
A resident of Florida for over 33 years. Admiral Carlton McLeod, affectionately called “Admiral Mac” throughout the greater Citrus County community, has dedicated his life to serving our nation, the State of Florida, his community and fellow veterans. A fervent advocate for veterans and his community, he is always the first to step forward to volunteer as a leader or supporter in community organizations, programs and projects to selflessly offer a helping hand to individual veterans and to make the community at large a better place to live.
Indicative of his selfless commitment to helping others and steadfast dedication to enriching his community, “Admiral Mac” has inspirationally continued his patriotic, civic and charitable works despite his 88 years of age and living with Stage 4 kidney disease the past two years that requires him to undergo 10-12 hours of dialysis on a daily basis.
As the president of the not for profit Citrus County Veterans Foundation, Inc. since its inception in 2004, “Admiral Mac” has worked tirelessly and selflessly to provide financial grant assistance to honorably discharged veterans and their surviving spouses in urgent financial crisis. Under his leadership and oversight, the Foundation has raised and provided over $300,000 in grant assistance to veterans or their surviving spouses residing in Citrus County.
Of particular note, “Admiral Mac” is the public guardian and advocate for Citrus County veterans. Commanding community wide respect and credibility, he has rallied community support for veterans and successfully advanced their collective interests before the Citrus County Board of County Commissioners and Citrus County School Board on numerous occasions during the past three decades.
Illustrative of “Admiral Mac’s” personal concern for fellow veterans, he has personally secured temporary housing arrangements for homeless and transient veterans and assisted the relocation of veterans and surviving spouses to locales where a support network of family and friends existed. Suffice to say, wherever there is an opportunity to help a fellow veteran or enrich his community, “Admiral Mac” is not only the first to step forward, but has the determination to stay the course.
Firmly believing that the nurturing of our nation’s youth as productive, patriotic and civic minded citizens is fundamental to the future of our country and its communities, “Admiral Mac” for the past three decades has been and continues to be an avid supporter of Citrus County’s youth. As such, he has been instrumental in establishing and sustaining two organizational academic scholarships, serving on their selection boards, managing the county’s Veterans in the Classroom Program and faithfully participating in it since 1993, and serving as a judge for the Citrus County School District Science Fair for over 20 years.
In sum, “Admiral Mac’s” decades of dedicated leadership, selfless service and faithful support distinguish him as a true American Patriot who has devoted his life to serving our country, the State of Florida, his community and his fellow veterans. A recognized champion of veterans and beloved community leader, he truly embodies the credo of “service to others above self.”
Education and Training Accomplishments:
- Bachelor of Arts, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island (1952).
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland (1956).
- Master of Science, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. (1967).
- Navy Dental Internship Program.
- Naval Post Graduate School.
- Flag Officer Orientation Course.
- Graduate, Combat Casualty Care Course.
- National Naval Dental Center Periodontics Specialty Program and Residency (3 years).
- Participant and Presenter, Periodontics Lecture Series.
- Visiting Instructor in Periodontics, University of California Dental School.
- Continuing Education Program, American Dental Association of Periodontists.
Professional or Employment History:
Military Service History:
Twenty-nine years and two months total active service United States Navy.
- Assistant Dental officer, USS Leyte CVS 32
- Senior Dental Officer, USS Enterprise WAN 65
- Head, Periodontics, Oakland Naval Hospital.
- Officer in Charge, Dental Restoration Team for Returning Vietnam POWs. Executive Officer, Great Lakes Naval Dental Center.
- Commanding Officer, Great Lakes Naval Dental Center.
- District Dental Officer, 9th Naval District (Midwest states).
- Head, Professional Branch, Dental Division, Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery. Inspector General, Navy Dental Corps.
- Inspector General, Navy Medical Corps
- Assistant Chief, Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery.
- Chief, Navy Dental Corps.
- Department of Defense CHAMPUS Advisory Board.
- Defense Medical Materiel Board.
- Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs Board.
- Director, Health Care Operations, Office of the Navy Surgeon General.
- Paper Boy, Central Fall, RI (High School).
- Shartenberg’s Department Store, Pawtucket, RI (High School).
- J & P Coates Company, Pawtucket, RI (Post High School).
- H.P. Hood & Sons Dairy Co, Providence, RI (Post High School).
- A Histochemical and Radioautographical Study of the Ground Substance in a Healing
- Palatal Flap of the Rat Utilizing S35 Radioactive Sulphate.
Advocacy on Behalf of Veterans:
- President, Citrus County Veterans Foundation (2004-present).
- Past President and Current Director, Military Officers Association of America Citrus Chapter.
- Past Member, Citrus County Veterans Advisory Board.
- Founding Chairman, Citrus County Veterans Day Memorial Service.
- Founding Chairman, Citrus County Veterans in the Classroom Coordinating Committee.
- Charter Member & Participant, Citrus County Veterans Appreciation Week.
- Participant, Citrus County Annual Veterans in the Classroom Program.
Key Veterans Advocacy Contributions:
- Helped form a fundraising partnership with Aaron A. Weaver Chapter 776 Military Order of the Purple Heart and the Citrus County Tax Collector to support the Citrus County Veterans Foundation grant assistance program for veterans and surviving spouses. (Partnership has raised over $130,000)
- Initiated an annual golf tournament to raise funds to support the Citrus County Veterans Foundation’s charitable works and has overseen its planning and execution for 14 years. (Tournament has raised approximately $102,000)
- Led the successful advocacy effort to halt the county’s plan to eliminate the receptionist/secretarial position supporting the county veterans’ service office.
- Led a successful effort to raise several thousand dollars to replace a drinking water well for a disabled veteran.
- Secured temporary housing for numerous veterans and surviving spouses in financial crisis and assisted in their relocation.
- Formed the Veterans in the Classroom Ad Hoc Coordinating Committee and expanded the program to annually place dozens of veterans into approximately 200 classrooms.
- Garnered the support of the Citrus County School District and School Board to have school bands participate in the annual Veterans Day Parade.
- Organized and coordinated Citrus County’s Veterans Day Memorial Service for the past 22 years.
- Aids the transition of returning local veterans with his personal financial support of and faithful participation in Citrus County’s Operation Welcome Home program.
Membership Veterans and Military Organizations:
- Life Member, Military Officers Association of America.
- Member, Scottish Military Society.
- Association of Military Surgeons of the United States.
- Annual Financial Donor, Veterans of Foreign Wars.
- Annual Financial Donor, American Legion.
- Annual Financial Donor, Disabled American Veterans.
Civic Activities and Contributions:
- Past Chairman, United Way Combined Federal Campaign, Lake County, IL.
- Past Chairman, American College of Dentists Florida Section.
- Past President, Citrus Hills Property Association.
- Past President & Board Member, Citrus Hills Civic Association,
- Past Chairman, Citrus County Art League Financial Advisory Board.
- Member, American Academy of Periodontology
- Member, American Dental Association.
Key Civic Contributions:
- Oversaw the fundraising campaign and fiscal oversight for the construction of the Arts Center of Citrus County, which is the county’s premier facility for the Arts.
- Originated the first candidate forum for the Citrus Hills community and planned and conducted each subsequent forum for approximately three decades.
- Initiated an annual picnic for the Citrus Hills community to instill community unity and spirit for a diverse population of residents from nationwide locales.
- Served as charter member on the Military Officer Association of America Citrus Chapter Scholarship Committee since its inception 18 years ago that annually awards a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating high school JROTC student.
- Served as a charter member for close to three decades on the Citrus Hills Civic Association Scholarship Committee that annually awards a $ 1,000 scholarship to a graduating high school senior.
- Served as the keynote speaker for scores of civic and patriotic events ranging from the Florida National Cemetery Memorial Day service to local elementary school programs.
- Participated as a judge for the Citrus County School District Science Fair for over 20 years.
- Led a successful citizen based effort to halt a county planned construction of a four-lane connector through the Citrus Hills residential area that threatened its physical integrity and community spirit.
Awards and Honors:
- Meritorious Service Medal.
- Navy Commendation Medal.
- Navy Unit Commendation.
- Meritorious Unit Commendation.
- National Defense Service Medal.
- Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
- Vietnam Service Medal w/ 2 Bronze Stars.
- Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry w/ Palm.
- Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
- First Navy Dental Corps officer to serve as Inspector General Navy Medical Corps
- 2001 Distinguished Alumnus, University of Maryland Dental School.
- Fellow of the American College of Dentists.
- Fellow of International College of Dentists.
- Honorary Fellow of the American Endodontists Association.
- Achievement Award for Knowledge of Dentistry, Rhode Island Dental Association
- Lifetime Achievement Award Military Order of the Purple Heart.
- Grand Marshal Citrus County Veterans Day Parade.
- Guest of Honor Marine Corps League Military Ball (Citrus County).