Colonel Darryle Kouns - US Army (Retired) - Vero Beach, FL
Darryle L. Kouns is a U.S. Army Colonel (retired). As a West Point graduate, he served many U.S. and overseas tours in his 29 years of active duty.
Colonel Kouns has been an active supporter of the 15,000 Indian River County Veterans and their families for 13 years. Active as a member of the Vero Beach chapter of the military Officers Association of America for 10 years and has served the last 5 years as a Director.
The purpose of MOAA is to aid active and retired military personnel and their families and survivors in every proper and legitimate manner. In 2013 he was a founder of the Upward American Veterans (UAV} Program. The mission of UAV is to respond to requests for immediate financial assistance from qualified US veterans and families’. He served as the Officer Representative of the UAV committee for 8 years and managed the expenditure of more than $200.000 for 159 needy veterans and their families.
Colonel Kouns has served 3 years on Congressman Bill Posey’s Military Advisory Committee. He and his wife volunteered 4 years delivering Meals on Wheels to Indian River County home bound citizens. They have supported Dogs for Life by fostering new puppies to be trained and donated to military veterans as service and hearing dogs.
The Colonel has served as an officer of VCIRC for 10 years and has recently completed a 3 year term as council president. VCIRC has grown over the past few years to 25 Veterans Organizations and over 45 non-veteran civic, government and business entities. The initial focus of VCIRC was to provide round trip transportation for veteran appointments at the West Palm Beach VA Hospital and hosting Memorial Day and Veterans Day ceremonies Colonel Kouns has planned and functioned as the Master of Ceremonies for the last 12 of these events with an average attendance of 1500.
Other Major Programs of VCIRC:
- Upward American Veterans- Emergency fiscal support for veterans and families unable to sustain a basic standard of living. Expenditure of more than $200,000 for 150+ veteran families over the last 9 years.
- Veterans Outreach – Goal of assisting Iraq and Afghanistan War veterans make a successful transition from military to civilian life.
- Veterans helping Veterans-Providing home improvements for veterans who cannot afford or physically unable to complete the work. An Impact 100 grant of $100,000 has supported this program for the past 2 years.
- Veterans outreach-Hosting major veteran and family events and establishing collaborative relationships with Indian River County organizations that provide support to all veterans.
- Veterans in the Classroom- Teaching county students about respect for our Nation, flag honors, military service and citizenship with over 3100 participating students the last 3 years.
- Scholarships- In partnership with the Indian River State College the Veterans Council provides $12,000 annually for dependents of county veterans.
I am honored to strongly recommend Colonel Darryle Kouns US Army The Adjutant Generals (TAG) position of the state of Florida. I have kn Kouns for over 40 years. He had an incredible career in the US Army ai Engineer in South Vietnam, the Army Staff, Command of an Engineer well as the Sixth Army Engineer Officer wrapping up a brilliant Army years service. His civilian experience as a major defense contractor at tl his experience in the Vero Beach Community assisting Congressman Advisory Committee as well as being President of the Indian River Vets for the last three years has given him a unique experience to be the TAG.
As the former Joint Force Commander of Alaskan Command for almost Alaskan TAG was part of my Total Force Team composed of the 6th Inf Division, Eleventh Air Force and the Alaskan Army and Air National G as the Coast Guard Forces. In addition, as the Assistant Vice Chief of St Headquarters USAF I worked very closely with the Director of the Air Guard so I am intimately familiar with the TAG’S responsibilities.
Colonel Kouns is an ideal candidate for this very important TAG position he has my strongest endorsement especially after recently observing his strong leadership when I was the Keynote Speaker at his Armed Forces I ceremony two years ago in Vero Beach.
Lt Gen USAF Retired
The purpose of this letter is to offer the highest possit recommendation for Darryle I. (Sam) Kouns, Colonel, US Army (Retired), to be the next Adjutant General of Florida.
I have known Sam Kouns for over 60 years as a pers and a highly respected classmate from West Point. I have als< him as a professional colleague, one who served with courage a distinction in combat and in numerous other critical assignmei home and abroad. In retirement, he has remained active in si the Military, especially our Veterans, located in South Florida.
Colonel Kouns is a man of total integrity, loyalty and commitment to excellence. He takes great pride in everything undertakes. He is a genuine American patriot and a leader of one who has served the Nation with honor and distinction, in p war. I know of no one who better personifies selfless service, 1 local community and to our Nation. I know of no one who is i qualified to serve as the next Adjutant General of Florida and National Guard, than Colonel Darryle I. Kouns.