Command CMSGT Carl Hunsinger - USAF (Retired) - Palmetto, FL
Chief Master Sergeant Carl Hunsinger, USAF (retired) served nearly 31 years on active duty. Upon graduation from high school, he graduated from the Florida Police Officer Standards and Training Course and the Florida Correctional Officer’s Training Institute. After three years as a civilian police officer and correctional officer, he entered the Air Force and began basic military training in June 1978.
He was a career logistician and transporter with an extensive background in Vehicle Operations, Vehicle Fleet Management and software development. Chief Hunsinger served this nation around the world. He was last stationed and deployed in Southwest Asia (June 2007 – July 2008) where he was the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 386th Air Expeditionary Wing. As the top enlisted leader, Chief Hunsinger advised the commander and senior staff on matters influencing the health, morale, welfare and effective utilization of over 19,000 assigned combat enlisted personnel in Kuwait and southern Iraq. The 386th Air Expeditionary Wing was responsible for a wide variety of missions in support of United States Air Forces Central and United States Central Command objectives including intra-theater airlift, casualty evacuation, theater internment, convoy operations, security, and combat service support for specified U.S. military units supporting all coalition forces.
He was the Senior Air Force Commander’s representative on advisory councils, board member of wing level enlisted promotions, special action boards, functional manager of 21 First Sergeants and the lead for all assigned Group Chief Master Sergeants. He provided coordinating actions with Joint top enlisted leaders throughout southwest Asia. He ensured combat readiness of several classified locations throughout Kuwait and Iraq with superior leadership, enlisted policies, practices and training. Last stateside assignment; 375 Airlift Wing/CCC.
Chief Hunsinger led from the front participating in many combat missions by land and air. He served a career total of 27 months in combat operations in three major deployments earning two Bronze Star Medals (one from the US Army and one from the US Air Force). Other major awards are; two Iraqi Campaign Medals, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and the Air Force Expeditionary Ribbon with Gold Border, seven Meritorious Service Medals and six Air Force Commendation Medals. In addition; the US Army awarded him the 1st Infantry Division and 25th Infantry Division patches with orders. In an earlier 2004-2005 deployment to Mosul Iraq, the US Army selected Chief Hunsinger as their acting 17 Battalion Command Sergeant Major making him their first ever Air Force E-9 to fill this position in direct combat. He performed duties as the Army’s on-scene commander with the quick response and recovery forces for post attacks both inside and outside the wire.
Other assignments included; Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio Texas, Dyess Air Force Base in Abilene Texas, Homestead Air Force Base Florida (twice assigned), Hahn Air Base Germany, Osan Air Base Republic of Korea, HQ Pacific Air Forces Hickam Air Force Base HI (twice assigned), Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama (with the Air Force Logistics Management Agency & Standard Systems Group computer software development) Air Staff assigned, Charleston Air Force Base in South Carolina, Yokota Air Base Japan, Scott Air Force Base Illinois, Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait (twice assigned), Mosul (Diamondback) Iraq and many other temporary duty locations around the world.
- Awarded B.S. Degree in Workforce Education and Development, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Associates Degree (CCAF) in Transportation Management
- Associates Degree in Law Enforcement (Wayland Baptist University
- United States Navy Senior Enlisted Academy (Advanced Leadership), Newport RI
- Basic Combat Convoy Course BC3 (inaugural course), Lackland AFB and Camp Bullis TX Ground Transportation Leadership and Fleet Management School, United States Air Force Six Sigma and Six Sigma Lean, Villanova University
- Human Resource Management, Villanova University
- Project Management Basic & Advanced, Villanova University
- Prospectus, Proposal and Grant Writing Course with Certificate, Idaho State University
- Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Inductee, Class of 2018
- 2018 Jewish Family & Children’s Service Tribute to Veterans Annual Award
- 2018 Goodwill Manasota Community Ambassador of the Year
- Primary Membership and Affiliations (Past/Present):
- Manasota Veterans, President/Founder
- Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Society Board of Directors (Lifetime Member)
- Manatee County Veterans Council (Immediate past 3-Term Chairman)
- Sarasota County Veterans Commission
- Goodwill Manasota Veterans’ Task Force (Charter Member)
- American Veterans (Lifetime Member)
- Veterans of Foreign Wars (Lifetime Member)
- American Legion Kirby Stewart Post 24 (Member)
- Disabled American Veterans Chapter 97 (Lifetime Member)
- Air Force Sergeants Association (Member)
- Moose Lodge (Member)
- Manasota Elks Lodge (Member, Veterans Support Committee)
- Appointed by Manatee County Board of Commissioners to the Metropolitan Planning Organization’s Transportation Citizen Advisory Committee (served 3-years)
- Key Team Member; Steering Group Committee Member of the USF Sarasota-Manatee, Manatee County Veteran Quality of Life Study (to be published Fall 2020)